The Castle of the Teutonic Order in Malbork
is the largest castle in the world measured by land area (52 acres) and is located in the Polish town of Malbork . The castle is a classic example of a medieval fortress and, on its completion in 1406 it was the world's largest brick castle.
It wasn't conquered many times. It has 3 castle walls , archery towers and large barracks. In 1466 both castle and town became part of Royal Prussia, a province of Poland. It served as one of the several Polish royal residences, fulfilling this function until the Partitions of Poland in 1772. During this period the Tall Castle served as the castle's supply storehouse, while the Great Refectory was a place for balls, feasts, and other royal events.
During the Thirty Years' War, in 1626 and 1629 Swedish forces occupied the castle. They invaded and occupied it again 1656 to 1660 during the Deluge. Fortress of Malbork is world famous .
Malbork Castle is also one of Poland's official national Historic Monuments , as designated September 16, 1994. Its listing is maintained by the National Heritage Board of Poland.
The history, in text and photographs, of the castle at Malbork, which served as the capital of the Teutonic state in Prussia beginning in the 14th Century, and now is one of the greatest tourist attractions in northern Poland.